Wednesday, January 26, 2005

IVolunteer

There was this great presentation at D-School (Delhi School of Economics, who share a compound wall with us) by these group of guys from IIM-A. They had started this organisation called Ivolunteer which basically offers summer internships to college students in various NGO''s.They pay a sum of Rs. 3500 /month to cover expenses plus travel reimbursements. They have tied with a chain of diverse NGO's to basically act as a facilitator between NGO's and students. I think it is an awesome concept. Primarily because a lot of us want to do something, but really do not know how to go about it. I think some B-schools in the country like SPJain have initiated this as a aprt of the curriculum and I am sure others should follow suit.Otherwise it becomes tough to commit 6 weeks from B-school life. I think one of the most important things we lack in India are systems to facilitate the vast middle and upper class from giving back to society.As income disparity increases in India, I think systems have to be put in place to make it easy to serve the nation.
I am a misanthrope myself, but would love to work for environment conservation. I do think establishing sustainable and profitable models for environment protection is the way to go about it and the same can be extended to any cause you are passionate about. The National Kidney Foundation of Singapore is one of the highest paying on campuses and it is a model for future NGO's to follow. There is no dearth of funds as the Tsunami has made us realise, but a lack of efficient and trustworthy systems to channel that money. I hope that in the future my kid can come up to me and say " Dad, I am passionate about saving the Tigers and want to make a career out of it" and I can say "Cool..." instead of jumping out of my chair and having have a stroke which I am sure will be any well-meaning parent's reaction today.Profitability and sustainable models is the only way NGO's can survive and prosper
The world cannot afford to wait for martyrs to save it. People like me should be able to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home