Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Pappu Re Pappu

I am yet to clearly define a roadmap or a mission for the blog, which I will do very shortly. But one of the objectives is definitely to make the blog a place where I can record the state of my mind (I don’t like the word “feelings” coz it sounds too gay) at the most momentous moments in my life.
Though it’s almost a fortnight after I got my PPO from India’s best-known corporate address at Backbay Reclamation, I can easily recall what was running through my mind.
Funnily enough, nothing but a huge sense of relief. No ecstasy on getting that dream job, no sense of great achievement, no bloated sense of importance.

Relief, yes. Humongous relief. Oodles of it. And come to think of it, that has marked every turning point in my life. Relief. Is it the relief of expected success? Is it the relief that comes from finishing a job well done? Partly, yes. But I think also because it gives me the opportunity to get on with normal life. Till I become obsessed with something again. Because on and off for the past 6 months I have lived with the magnificent obsession to get into my dream company. 75 days of my summer internship and 15 days of preparation for the interview. That’s 90 days of an obsession.

I have always believed in magnificent obsessions. I have had many. The amazing thing about magnificent obsessions is that they make for a higher form of living. Living for a single cause. Getting up every single morning with only one thing in your mind. Eating, sleeping and living with only one single focus. It’s like being in Love. Your mind is obsessed and focused and gives you inner strength to do things you wouldn’t have done otherwise.

But just like the state of being in love, magnificent obsessions are unsustainable. You got to keep the time period down to optimum levels you are comfortable with. You also gotta keep healthy gaps between them when you can get back in touch with friends, join a gym, blog, do the regular things in life. Like I’m doing now

I can do it for 3 months (not being in love, stoopids) at a stretch. Have done it for GRE and CAT. Succeeded in GRE, failed in CAT (even quit my job for it). Don’t regret a second, though. And it’s even better when the cause is for a common good. Like my state of mind in the FMS Media Cell in the first year. Honest to God, I don’t even fuss about the results anymore.Coz I had such an awesome time in the process. The focus, the drive, the passion and single-minded state of being give me such a high in itself. I think it’s critical that people recognize this fact.

In The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, this is captured beautifully.
“With one eye focused on the reward, there is only one eye left to focus on the purpose”Guess Greg Chappell’s saying the same thing too, isn’t it?

It doesn’t matter if you have broken up with your girlfriend or had a divorce. Remember you were in love once. It’s a higher form of living.

Task: Reclaim Backbay:) Status: achieved. Now till the next magnificent obsession. Coz when the journey’s so good, the destination is secondary :).

1 Comments:

Blogger donscave said...

Congratulations. I agree its the journey that makes the destination attractive.

1/12/2006 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home